The opening of the Highway 7 West rapidway and Vaughan Metropolitan Centre vivastation will be happening in three stages. The purpose of this document is to help you better understand all the steps needed for completion and when the various milestones are expected to happen. Thank you for your patience as we work towards completing this project!
When will the rapidway on Highway 7 West be finished?
Stages of service: The opening of the Highway 7 West rapidway will be happening in three stages:
- The area from Jane Street to Bowes Road was completed in December 2016, and buses will be running in this part of the rapidway soon.
- The Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension and the new bus terminal will be completed in December 2017.
- The area from Edgeley Boulevard to Jane Street includes the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre [VMC] vivastation, and is scheduled for completion in Spring 2018, soon after the opening of the new subway.
When will buses run in the centre lanes?
- Rapidway service will begin in stages. Viva routes that currently run on and around the Highway 7 West/Vaughan Metropolitan Centre area won’t be changing right away. Why? Because the opening of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension [TYSSE] will replace parts of several routes.
- Meanwhile, to optimize service and take advantage of the brand new rapidway, here are the preliminary route changes:
- Viva Purple eastbound: Viva Purple travelling northbound on Keele Street will enter the Highway 7 rapidway and will stop at the eastbound Keele vivastation. It will ride in the rapidway eastbound, moving to curbside west of Baldwin
- Viva Purple westbound: Riding westbound on Highway 7 from Centre Sreet, Viva Purple will enter the rapidway west of Bowes Road and travel as far as Keele Street,
then turn south on Keele.
- YRT 77 eastbound: YRT 77 will enter the rapidway east of Maplecrete Road. It will ride in the rapidway eastbound, moving to curbside west of Baldwin Avenue.
- YRT 77 westbound: YRT 77 will enter the rapidway west of Bowes Road and exit at the Maplecrete Road intersection.